Scuba Ontario  

Go Back   Scuba Ontario > Main Category > Main Forum
Register ProjectsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar

Main Forum Main Forum Description

Old 07-25-2009, 05:03 PM

sharon is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Dive charter collision in Oakville

OSaturday morning I was out with Aquaholic Dive Charter moored to the S A Queen. We had the dive flag up and engine off. The water was completely flat and you could see for miles on the surface. We just completed our dive with advanced divers and a few divers out for a fun morning.
When I surfaced the captain rushed us out of the water and into his zodiac.
Well right after that another charter approached us with the engine running and hit us on the port side and stopped over the mooring. We were quite paniced about this and yelled to the captain of the Orkney Isle out of Oakville, "stop we have a diver on the line"
he heard us and replied "I'ts okay".

I'm just glad that no one was injured on the line, he had enough sense to look up and 2 that no one was on the ladder and squished between the 40ft tug and the zodiac!

I'm very upset that another dive charter either ignored the dive flag and boating rules or that they didn't care about the rules. I had heard rumours and second hand stores of this happening before but witnessing it was terrible.

I hope this doesn't happen again to someone else. It could of been a real disaster with injuries.

I'm just letting everyone on the forum know that some opperators don't think it through before they act. I bet they might think next time because we happened to have coast guard and police on board as passengers.(maybe the stupidity will stop).
Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Grand Pooba.

serge has disabled reputation

That's discusting. I really hope action is taken.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:18 AM

jbrians is on a distinguished road

I've heard the usual stories over the years about the kinds of things thios operator does to anyone on his lake but I thought they were all just that...stories.

Now, I 'm not so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon View Post
OSaturday morning I was out with Aquaholic Dive Charter moored to the S A Queen. We had the dive flag up and engine off. The water was completely flat and you could see for miles on the surface. We just completed our dive with advanced divers and a few divers out for a fun morning.
When I surfaced the captain rushed us out of the water and into his zodiac.
Well right after that another charter approached us with the engine running and hit us on the port side and stopped over the mooring. We were quite paniced about this and yelled to the captain of the Orkney Isle out of Oakville, "stop we have a diver on the line"
he heard us and replied "I'ts okay".

I'm just glad that no one was injured on the line, he had enough sense to look up and 2 that no one was on the ladder and squished between the 40ft tug and the zodiac!

I'm very upset that another dive charter either ignored the dive flag and boating rules or that they didn't care about the rules. I had heard rumours and second hand stores of this happening before but witnessing it was terrible.

I hope this doesn't happen again to someone else. It could of been a real disaster with injuries.

I'm just letting everyone on the forum know that some opperators don't think it through before they act. I bet they might think next time because we happened to have coast guard and police on board as passengers.(maybe the stupidity will stop).
Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM

Chris2257 is on a distinguished road

Unbelievable !

Should have been arrested right there.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Smiffy6four

PeteSmith is on a distinguished road

Tune in to http://ontariodiving.com/showthread.php?t=11554 for a little more info.............
·..·´¯`·. <º))))><.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·<º))))><