Scuba Ontario  

Go Back   Scuba Ontario > Main Category > Main Forum
Register ProjectsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar

Main Forum Main Forum Description

Old 03-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Jen is on a distinguished road
Default Diver fitness

To many of us, the winter isn't kind. Each year we make promises to ourselves and then something always comes up that allows us that excuse of not having the time. Fitness and taking care of yourself as a diver is important. "So important" in fact that many of us take it for granted....in other words...we forget about it! . Diving is a hobby, a passion, a relaxing act....however you want to look at it, it is a sport, and can put various stresses on the body that we don't pay enough attention to. These stresses include lifting/carrying extra weight, cardio, temperature, and in some cases if you are uncomfortable, a little anxiety, along with many other things depending on training levels.

Last week a diver died (out West) after surfacing from a dive that was well planned out, not very deep (maybe average depth of 40 ft), had all of the communication in place, but yet when they turned the dive and ascended, on the surface he told his buddy that he had trouble breathing, and went unconscious. His buddy was a firefighter/EMT, and there were other trained people to tend to him, but he was without a pulse. He was described as a larger gentleman.

I won't draw conclusions as there are many things that could have happened here that we don't know about. We all know that cardio plays a huge role in stress management, and in situations that require physical exertion. Having good cardio and being fit as a diver helps with decompression, gas exchange, SAC rate, lifting gear with less chance of injury, and lets face it....when we feel better we look better . Personally I am not where I would like to be on the fitness end of my diving, and I plan on making the effort to get back into shape. There is a great book on diver fitness that I bought (Fitness For Divers by Cameron Martz), and I only really glanced at it. This book has everything tailored to the diver...stretches that help divers, weight exercises that help the muscels that divers depend on, and even work out plans. Now that the dive season is on us, it might be time to think about getting into the best shape possible.

Last edited by Jen; 03-14-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Giddyup

Chantelle is on a distinguished road

Very well said, Jen. I have been back on the fitness train lately as well, as I know I've not stayed in the best shape, over the last year or so. It feels good to get back into it, and I do notice a difference in the water.

I guess I should do more than glance through my "Fitness For Divers" too!

My Bloggy Thing

She-P Dealer
Old 03-15-2009, 09:08 PM

sharon is on a distinguished road

I've heard of the book. Where is it available to purchase?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Jen is on a distinguished road

Hi Sharon...the book can be purchased in a couple places. We bought ours from the GUE site, but it is also available online in either a PDF or soft cover from the other link below. In both cases the prices are in US funds.

http://www.gue.com/?q=en/node/163

http://www.divefitness.com/html/guides.html
-this second link has a couple excerpts from the book to give you an idea of what its all about.

Last edited by Jen; 03-15-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:48 PM

Thank you for the links Jen
Old 03-22-2009, 08:51 AM
ivakdiver

Dave Gilchrist is on a distinguished road
Smile Diver Fitness

Jen, Great link. I'm going to order one of the books. The web site on Diver Fitness is super. I'm really finding it important to try and stay in better shape for diving. Trying to walk on a 40 minute tread mill at least 3 times a week helps but the exercises will also help with conditioning. Very important for aging divers who want to continue to enjoy the sport.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 AM

Dave are you saying that I'm getting old?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:25 AM

jbrians is on a distinguished road

Nope...you aren't old yet!

Freedom 55 hit me last year and staying in shape for anything can't be taken for granted anymore.
I have a couple of very active dogs who insist I go out and exercise with them so for now, I have incentive!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:44 AM
ivakdiver

Dave Gilchrist is on a distinguished road
Default Fitness

No, Sharon I'm saying that I'm getting old.: