Scuba Ontario  

Go Back   Scuba Ontario > Main Category > Old Archived Forum threads
Register ProjectsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar

Old Archived Forum threads This is where all of the old outdated threads are being moved to.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Giddyup

Chantelle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
Who are the local GUEf instructors?
There is Dan MacKay, based out of Kingston, and I think Joe was alluding to Steve Schultz as the second one, but he is not finished his Instructor training yet. There is Steve Blanchard, who will be doing the ITC this year, based out of Ottawa, and two more that I know of as well (one on the west coast, one on the east coast). It would be really good for GUE to have this many GUE instructors in Canada, and hopefully more for the future!

My Bloggy Thing

She-P Dealer
Old 01-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Jen is on a distinguished road

There is only one canadian GUE instructor, and two interning hopefuls. There are a couple GUE instructors in the US within a 5-8 hour drive. There aren't any GUE instructors local in the Southwestern Ontario area. Having been on both sides of the fence I can honestly say that the training is second to none. DIR is more than having the right kit, it is also diving with the right mind set. This includes not solo diving, being a self sufficient diver but also a compliment to a team, among other things. DIR was developed by a group of divers that took a good long look at diving and diving accidents and thus bacame the foundation of GUE. When it gets said that you've been diving DIR longer than a shop in question has been open its based on a lot of mis interpretations, and is not true based on the true meaning of DIR. To be appreciated one must take a serious look at what the main intention was in the first place. Many of the DIR pioneers take pride in placing the philosophy into the hands of divers who sincerely want to be more competent and comfortable in the water. This appreciation is not fame driven nor is it to become the be all to end all of diving practices.

I like how Warren said that he had a hard time following this thread b/c its on so many different forums. This has been a hot topic in the dive community forever. I am all for supporting the LDS. The thread had nothing to do with that just with a few questions and it got turned into something that it should never have become. Chest beating gets no where and I often leave the conversation shaking my head at this. (I just happened to have time as the farmers discussed resolutions in the other room to respond and I will correct my spelling mistakes that I see when I am off the blackberry.)

Play nice in the sand box boys. I luv you all you know that but it never gets anywhere like this.

Last edited by Jen; 01-14-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typosssss
Old 01-14-2009, 03:11 PM

Warren_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I agree. But I find consistency in GUE training and the divers who train with GUE. I have been in the water with divers on the DIR path from other agencies and there is no comparison.

Now that we have two, soon to be three, fairly local GUEf instructors we have a choice. Unless they all align themselves with NTD.
Being GUE trained myself, I would agree with you. A couple of Christmases ago I went to Monterey in California to dive with some people I had never met before. All I knew at the time was that they were GUE tech 1 trained. It was the first time that I have ever dove with complete strangers and had zero surprises in the dives we did - from the planning through to the actual dive itself, everything went like clockwork.

I would disagree in that other agencies cannot offer training on the DIR path (although maybe this may be semantics here). The DIR path is GUE specific and if your goal is Tech 1 or higher, you need to start with GUE fundamentals. Other agencies can offer DIR-like courses (which may be just as good - although I really know little about these courses) and if your ultimate goal does not include any of the higher level GUE certifications, these courses may be the way to go.

Additionally, within the GUE/DIR path, keep in mind that not all GUE instructors can teach beyond fundamentals, so if you're looking for consistency though certifications beyond fundamentals, keep in mind that you might be changing instructors.

Last edited by Warren_L; 01-14-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 PM

Jimmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
There is only one canadian GUE instructor, and two interning hopefuls.
Ah ok, I only knew of Dan in Ontario, I was curious when someone mentioned 2 or 3.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Giddyup

Quote:
Ah ok, I only knew of Dan in Ontario, I was curious when someone mentioned 2 or 3.
There are almost 5.

My Bloggy Thing

She-P Dealer
Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Jen is on a distinguished road

You and Me Chan?.... (kidding for now....but maybe down the road)
Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Giddyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
You and Me Chan?.... (kidding for now....but maybe down the road)
Lol... I guess ya never know!

My Bloggy Thing

She-P Dealer
Old 01-14-2009, 11:15 PM
GUE Instructor

Steve B is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what words you would like me to add to this thread.
Having said that, I can say that I have done training with pretty much every dive training agency out there. It is my experience that GUE's offers the most solid and safest dive training program out there today.

Many dive boards have threads on agency debates. I will point out one thing I see in common with these threads. Those who state that their agency offers "DIR" training have a false pretense as to what the complete DIR package is or think it is, because he/she have never gone throught the GUE training program and don't know what they don't know. It is mostly instructors from other agencies that have invested alot of time and money to get to where they are, and don't feel they can be shown a different way/approach to this sport we love so much. I was going down this same path before I was asked by a friend to be his dive buddy on a DIRF. I was reluctant to go but DAMN glad I did!

Dive safe

Steve Blanchard
Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Many dive boards have threads on agency debates. I will point out one thing I see in common with these threads. Those who state that their agency offers "DIR" training have a false pretense as to what the complete DIR package is or think it is, because he/she have never gone throught the GUE training program and don't know what they don't know.

This statement speaks volumes. It's funny how many different DIR interpretations there are out there. Instructors from all the other agencies throw DIR around nowadays but what they are selling is not DIR. Without GUE training they will never no. I read everything I got my hands on, talk to lots of people and was still amazed at what I learned once in the classroom.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ya guess I jumped the gun a little with that statement. Should have said the one instructor and two soon to be. That I know of anyways. Actually I do know of a third but he has dropped of the radar as of late.