Scuba Ontario  

Go Back   Scuba Ontario > Main Category > Old Archived Forum threads
Register ProjectsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar

Old Archived Forum threads This is where all of the old outdated threads are being moved to.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Giddyup

Chantelle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
I think you need water
Yessssss please!

My Bloggy Thing

She-P Dealer
Old 01-14-2009, 02:28 AM

Matthew Mandziuk is on a distinguished road

Well Oren, Not to "rock to boat" but just because a shop is "gue" shop, it doesn't mean they're the "real deal".

If memory serves correct, I was diving DIR before NTD existed.

It doesn't matter the agency, but more so the level of training and even though you've never trained with me, I'm pretty sure we could learn a lot from diving with each other.

As far as "real Deals Go", why would someone buy a DUI drysuit from you if you're not a "real" dive facility. I mean aren't you just a guy picking up the slack for those shops who don't sell DUI? I mean how do you compete with someone who has sold DUI and other brands of drysuits for over 35yrs and never had a complaint when it comes to price or service? Why should someone buy DUI off you if you're praising NTD? In reality I don't see either of you getting a DUI sales award for the 9th year in a row now. I respect you doing drysuit repairs, but leave the DUI drysuit sales to those who are in the industry full time....NTD and Dan's Dive Shop.

I think that you put too much faith in the name of a training agency, I mean TDI, GUE, PADI, UTD, NAUI, doesn't it all come down to the instructor? Like it or not, there are a lot of people who have come and gone in this diving industry and few who remain the genuine article. I'm pretty sure we'll be here as a main stay in diving and we have lead the trends in diving since our inception in 1974, why stop now?

I respect GUE, but I also see that there is a bigger picture in the diving industry. I teach NAUI, as do many of the people who work for Halcyon ironically enough. Maybe if the rest of the industry spent as much time looking at the big picture instead of what agency teaches what, we'd be a bigger sport.

I am aligning myself with divers from all walks of life and even though rule 1 still applies in my selection, agencies are secondary.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 AM

Oren is on a distinguished road

Matt, if I'll find some time today between work, baby, gym workout, baby, a haircut, baby and setting up an education saving plan for the baby to address your questions and concerns, I promise to do it more throughly than you may enjoy.

Your Waterloo region DUI contact person but I'll talk to everyone, who wants to get into DUI and needs help.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Smiffy6four

PeteSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren View Post
............... I promise to do it more throughly than you may enjoy.
rofl!.............................
·..·´¯`·. <º))))><.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·<º))))><

Last edited by PeteSmith; 01-14-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Joe is on a distinguished road

Just a reminder folks to please keep it civil. Supporting your LDS is great and I encourage it. Building up the shop you choose to patronize by bad mouthing another has the opposite effect.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:45 PM

Warren_L is on a distinguished road

Boy I'm having a hard time finding this thread ... it keeps bouncing around from forum to forum.

Anyway, a comment from a casual observer.... I'm not sure why these training threads seem to degenerate towards one LDS vs. another LDS discussions. Nonetheless, given that this particular thread was split from the original thread, some of the previous posts in this thread are now slightly out of context given the new topic. I would agree wholeheartedly with Matt in that GUE is not the only agency that would offer quality DIR style training. In fact, I would say that quality training programs and quality instructors are not the exclusive domain of any one agency. Many people have said this and I believe it holds true.

However, the OP and the topic at hand did ask specifically about the GUE fundamentals course, and in keeping in line with the topic at hand of this thread, it would seem logical to align yourself with a shop that does offer GUE training as they would be best suited to answer and deal with anything specific to GUE courses.

Does this exclude other LDSes from being able to provide quality gear? Not at all. But as far as the training is concerned, if the GUE path is what I wanted, I would certainly look towards a bondafide GUE shop.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_L View Post
Boy I'm having a hard time finding this thread ... it keeps bouncing around from forum to forum.
There was a bit of a discussion as to where to put it. It moved 3 times I think lol.

Quote:
Anyway, a comment from a casual observer.... I'm not sure why these training threads seem to degenerate towards one LDS vs. another LDS discussions. Nonetheless, given that this particular thread was split from the original thread, some of the previous posts in this thread are now slightly out of context given the new topic. I would agree wholeheartedly with Matt in that GUE is not the only agency that would offer quality DIR style training. In fact, I would say that quality training programs and quality instructors are not the exclusive domain of any one agency. Many people have said this and I believe it holds true.
I agree. But I find consistency in GUE training and the divers who train with GUE. I have been in the water with divers on the DIR path from other agencies and there is no comparison.

Quote:
However, the OP and the topic at hand did ask specifically about the GUE fundamentals course, and in keeping in line with the topic at hand of this thread, it would seem logical to align yourself with a shop that does offer GUE training as they would be best suited to answer and deal with anything specific to GUE courses.

Does this exclude other LDSes from being able to provide quality gear? Not at all. But as far as the training is concerned, if the GUE path is what I wanted, I would certainly look towards a bondafide GUE shop.
Now that we have two, soon to be three, fairly local GUEf instructors we have a choice. Unless they all align themselves with NTD.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Administrator

I would like to here from the Steves or Dan on this subject. Someone (Chan) let them know about this thread....
Old 01-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Jimmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Now that we have two, soon to be three, fairly local GUEf instructors we have a choice. Unless they all align themselves with NTD.
Who are the local GUEf instructors?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Giddyup

Chantelle is on a distinguished road

I was gonna ask who the second one was too...

I'm not really sure what Steve can add to the thread. I will let him know about it, but I don't think there is really much he can say about "this side vs. that side."

He has taken courses with just about every agency there is, and has more cards than I knew actually existed. I really do not want to speak for him, but tried, tested, and true, he sticks with GUE.

I am not knocking any other agency. We all came from somewhere, and learn from many different avenues. There are great instructors in any agency. I do believe (please read that this is my opinion only) from what I have seen (please read that this is my opinion only), there is more consistancy with the quality of instructors within GUE. I'll say it again.... yes, there are great instructors with other agencies... GUE just works for me.

I like the fact that I can jump in the water with another GUE diver, from halfway across the planet, and be on the same page with them.

To be honest, I really don't care who trains with who. I like people. I may not make some of the same choices that they do, but it doesn't mean they aren't good people. I might make my own choices about who I may or may not dive with in certain conditions, and I really hope that doesn't sound "stuck up," as it's not meant to be. I just like to know that the person I'm diving with can help to solve problems the way I need them to be, and vice versa... especially when on a technical or overhead dive. You really do have to trust your buddy with your life, and they have to trust you.

Ok... novel over.. can someone please pass me another bowl of popcorn? Back to reading...

My Bloggy Thing

She-P Dealer