Scuba Ontario  

Go Back   Scuba Ontario > Main Category > Old Archived Forum threads
Register ProjectsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar

Old Archived Forum threads This is where all of the old outdated threads are being moved to.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Jay Roy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
There are points on both sides. I do recall Dan even saying...support your LDS.
I have heard Dan say this several times as well.......
Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Roy View Post
I have heard Dan say this several times as well.......
Yepp, took fundies with a red Dan's diveshop mask strap. I was joking with Dan about it and he said "dude gotta support the LDS"... Having said that they are both great shops and NTD is my LDS when in Kingston.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Grand Pooba.

serge has disabled reputation

Hey Oren,

I did read your post carefully. I guess I don't understand what you mean by "GUE associated shop". If you look at GUE's Website you see on the right hand side a list of "GUE Facilities" of which NTD nor Dan's is on the list. My first guess was that this is what you meant by "GUE associated shop" but I was mistaken.

If you go to Halcyon's Dealer List under Ontario you see both NTD and Dan's listed.

So I guess I still don't understand what you meant

I think really the net result either way though is that you can't go wrong with either choice but in general, if possible, it's always good to support your LDS

Serge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren View Post
If you read my post more carefully, you'll notice that I never said that Dan's isn't a real Halcyon dealer.
I said that NTD is a GUE associated shop and since this thread is about gearing up for a GUE-F course, I suggested to support the shop that offers the "real deal" training. That's all. YMMV.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Warren_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
Hey Oren,

I did read your post carefully. I guess I don't understand what you mean by "GUE associated shop". If you look at GUE's Website you see on the right hand side a list of "GUE Facilities" of which NTD nor Dan's is on the list. My first guess was that this is what you meant by "GUE associated shop" but I was mistaken.

If you go to Halcyon's Dealer List under Ontario you see both NTD and Dan's listed.

So I guess I still don't understand what you meant

I think really the net result either way though is that you can't go wrong with either choice but in general, if possible, it's always good to support your LDS

Serge.
I think he means a shop that offers actual GUE training, if I read him correctly.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM

Oren is on a distinguished road

Yes, Warren got what I was trying to say pretty exactly.

Supporting your LDS is a blanket statement. I think that an LDS has to earn our trust and support.
It's good that you've had good experience with your LDS but not everyone has.
That's why I will only agree with your statements that you should support your LDS if the LDS has earned it.

Your Waterloo region DUI contact person but I'll talk to everyone, who wants to get into DUI and needs help.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Grand Pooba.

In an ideal world yes *BUT* the reality is if nobody supports the LDS how do you get air?

As well I don't really want to turn this into a flame war. Your comment
Quote:
"It's good that you've had good experience with your LDS but not everyone has."
is a bit inflametory and seems to specifically target a perticular store for some reason (Maybe I read that wrong). Care to speak of the bad experiance you had specifically? I don't feel that unfounded general comments help anybody myself, so I typically like to see backup.

On that same note I hear there was a customer that had a bad experiance with your LDS to; Oh ya and I read on Deco Stop that some guy named Mark in Texas has a bad experiance with his LDS to. I have no idea how that helps anybody buying a Halcyon SMB but I felt the need to type it anyways...

I just don't understand what value those comments are adding to this thread about preparing for DIRf .

Serge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren View Post
Yes, Warren got what I was trying to say pretty exactly.

Supporting your LDS is a blanket statement. I think that an LDS has to earn our trust and support.
It's good that you've had good experience with your LDS but not everyone has.
That's why I will only agree with your statements that you should support your LDS if the LDS has earned it.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 PM

Oren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In an ideal world yes *BUT* the reality is if nobody supports the LDS how do you get air?
I don't dive air...
But to answer your question:
If I would not be happy with my LDS, I'd go to a different one to get my fills...
If I would not be happy with the second one, I'd go to the next...
And so on until I had enough and would buy me a device that you must heard of too....A compressor...
Quote:
As well I don't really want to turn this into a flame war. Your comment is a bit inflametory and seems to specifically target a perticular store for some reason (Maybe I read that wrong). Care to speak of the bad experiance you had specifically? I don't feel that unfounded general comments help anybody myself, so I typically like to see backup.
Well, if you didn't want to turn it into a flame war, why did you ask.
It's obvious that an answer to your question will inevitably lead to some flames, no?
My comment was rather meant in general about any XYZ LDS and not as you thought, as an attempt to target or comment about your LDS. Why so sensitive?
If you care to know, I did have an experience with you LDS that wasn't an experience to write home about. Do you really want me to dish it here?
Quote:
I just don't understand what value those comments are adding to this thread about preparing for DIRf .

Serge.
Honestly? Neither do I.

Your Waterloo region DUI contact person but I'll talk to everyone, who wants to get into DUI and needs help.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 PM

Rob Smith is on a distinguished road

I live in Scarborough, my LDS is in Oshawa. I make the drive out there and have purchased pretty much everything from that shop. They have treated me with great respect as I them. I have gone to others shops From Dan's across to NTD and have purchased items from diferent shops just like I do with anything else outside of scuba, food, beer, clothes etc. I do it to support the dive industry and any LDS shop owner I have met respects and expects this. My lds will order things for me they don't normally stock, but sometimes I don't want to wait so I go where I know it is on the shelf. The same goes for courses. If my shop is not offering a course I want and another is I will go there. We are all in this together so we all help out when we can. I believe in loyalty, and I believe in sharing the wealth. We need to keep the mom and pop shops going, local or not. Everyone deserves to make money and everyone has a right to choose where they shop. I believe in helping all the shops out, local or not becaue at the end of the day when your tanks are empty, you can't get air fills over the net.

The above relates to GUE training and equipment not offered by my lds...
I've Rambled enough!...lol...

Last edited by Rob Smith; 01-13-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Giddyup

Chantelle is on a distinguished road

These pretzels are making me thirsty...

My Bloggy Thing

She-P Dealer
Old 01-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Grand Pooba.

I think you need water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelle View Post