Scuba Ontario  

Go Back   Scuba Ontario > Main Category > Main Forum
Register ProjectsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar

Main Forum Main Forum Description

Old 01-13-2009, 08:59 PM

sharon is on a distinguished road
Default favorite dive sites or moments

I noticed that most people haven't introduced themselves. What if everyone would mention their favorote dive site or what hooked them about diving back when they started.

I'll start, my first dive was in Hawaii. I was lucky enough to see turtles my fist time in the ocean. I just wanted to stay and watch longer. It was the most beautiful place I had ever seen. I needed to see more.

I dive in Ontario because I'm addicted to compressed air. I love that all my troubles float away when I dive. I love wrecks and so far the Tiller is my favorite.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 PM

Rob Smith is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing that Sharon!

As a kid I was always interested in diving, underwater explorers and of course good old Jacques Cousteau. When I was in my late 20's I did the open water, back then you did everything in a weekend, but I never finished my certy when I was called away to work. Then came along my family and life went to fast. I finally said before I hit 40 I will get into it and go all the way. I was certified last May and haven't stopped since. My favourite dive so many to choose from but a couple come to mind. I booked a charter in Kingston with 12 new dive friends diving the Munson, Titanic and Cornwall for my 40th Birthday. Kingston has always been my fav since my first real dive was the Wolfe Islander. All I remember was seeing her come out of the green haze into focus and I near dropped a load in my new drysuit..lol. However It was Tobermory's Arabia that really hit me. Seeing something most people will never see, something that time has almost forgotten, it just blew me away. I can't pick a fav, they are all amazing dives. They may not be as special as some of the other folks here, but it was better than I ever imagined. With all the great people I have met, the great sites I have seen, I know as I go further into diving it'll only get better and that’s what keeps me coming back.

Last edited by Rob Smith; 01-13-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Diver1 Va3KGS

KevinS is on a distinguished road

The Welland Scuba Park. It's the best. 10 minutes from home, free to dive there, and all the fish know me by my first name !!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Grand Pooba.

serge has disabled reputation

Well I got certified back in 2001 if I remember right. I always had an interest in diving and wanted to dive Ship Wrecks (Was never a pritty fish and coral kind of guy).

From my first pool session I was 100% totally hooked. Spent many years doing lots and lots of wreck dives.

About 2 years ago I went and took my cave training in Florida. That is now my new sub passion and would give up all other diving to be able to cave dive on a regular basis. I'd have to say my favorite cave system at this point is Little River in florida.

I'm not sure what it is about cave diving that has me hooked but I enjoy it a lot. It's definatly not for everybody though.

At this point I count the days between cave trips (April right John )

I've done very little salt water diving. The only salt I've been in is 2 dives on my honeymoon on a reef (reef diving is better than no diving after all ) and then a great trip a few years ago to NC to dive the U-Boat along with some other great wrecks.

Serge.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Joe is on a distinguished road

Good thread Sharon.

I would have to say the St James. Deep fresh water schooners are my favorite.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:08 AM

Matthew Mandziuk is on a distinguished road
Default Sooooooooooo Many

I've been fortunate to share a lot of great memories with my friends and also technical diving students.

Some of my favourite sites are anything from being the 1st diver to ever set "fin" inside the Northwind's chain locker since it sank in 1925, to being one of a handful of people to make it into the engine room of the Empress of Ireland in the early 2000's, to diving the St. James a year after it was found on a nice Nitrox EAN27....back in the strokey days of TDI gas mixes, to the Fantail of the Northwind, virgin Mexico caves that I've repelled down 75+ feet to get into, to revisiting the awseome wrecks in Lake Erie, to even the 1st time I dove the Tiller. My dive resume is one of the most extensive in the country.

There are so many great dives from Canada, to Mexico, to Italy, to Greece and many other areas where I am planning trips and expeditions. Make sure you sign up for some great dive training classes and get in on some of the most unique diving experiences in the industry. PM me for more details.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Ex Sailor

pteminski is on a distinguished road
Default The Key Storm in the St. Lawrence

Hi Gang,

Of all the fresh and salt water diving I have done, I must say if you have not seen the Keystorm you have have not seen dive heaven so close to home. A great lakes freighter that is sitting on its side at 45 dgrees with the bow in 30' and the stern in 105' it is a dive site for all levels. From open water to wreck penetration it is an enjoyable dive. There are no thermo clines due to the moving water and I have seen vis so good that at 105' you could look up and see the divers on the surface. Temperature of the water can be 50 to 55 degrees well into October which means no need for a gangly cumbersome dry suit. The rust on the hull mixed with the fresh water sponges reminds me of coral reef diving. There is an air pocket in one of the anchor pockets for you to explore. Just don't breath the air. The fish around the wreck are a site to behold. The Keystorm, one of the best dives around ... next to the swing bridge.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Diver1 Va3KGS

KevinS is on a distinguished road

Hi Pete

What is the current like around the Keystorm? I need both hands to take pictures, and don't want to be tethered to anyone!!! If I can be hands free on this dive and you can pull me away from the Scuba Park, I would like to go and Dive the Keystorm.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 PM

jmya is on a distinguished road

There is little current on the Keystorm if you stay in the lee of the wreck.

It's a nice wreck to be sure, but I wouldn't say it is dive-heaven. Maybe it's because I've only done it in silly-season (with silt-bombs galore - 100' vis?). Or maybe it's because I'm more partial to wooden wrecks?

The John J. Boland Jr. is a similar wreck (depression-era freighter) in similar condition. I like it better, but it is deeper and it doesn't lie on a shoal.

Katie Eccles and Sheboygan are some of my faves - and no current!

Diving with a pod of whales off the Kona coast was pretty cool, but I don't see it happening very often! Plus some Oceanic White-tips were eyeing me up like I might be a snack.

Jason.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 PM

sharon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmya View Post

Diving with a pod of whales off the Kona coast was pretty cool, but I don't see it happening very often! Plus some Oceanic White-tips were eyeing me up like I might be a snack.

Jason.
Wow! They sound like incredible dives.

Tags
favorite site, lake erie dive charters