Scuba Ontario  

Go Back   Scuba Ontario > Main Category > Old Archived Forum threads
Register ProjectsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar

Old Archived Forum threads This is where all of the old outdated threads are being moved to.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Jen is on a distinguished road

There is only one canadian GUE instructor, and two interning hopefuls. There are a couple GUE instructors in the US within a 5-8 hour drive. There aren't any GUE instructors local in the Southwestern Ontario area. Having been on both sides of the fence I can honestly say that the training is second to none. DIR is more than having the right kit, it is also diving with the right mind set. This includes not solo diving, being a self sufficient diver but also a compliment to a team, among other things. DIR was developed by a group of divers that took a good long look at diving and diving accidents and thus bacame the foundation of GUE. When it gets said that you've been diving DIR longer than a shop in question has been open its based on a lot of mis interpretations, and is not true based on the true meaning of DIR. To be appreciated one must take a serious look at what the main intention was in the first place. Many of the DIR pioneers take pride in placing the philosophy into the hands of divers who sincerely want to be more competent and comfortable in the water. This appreciation is not fame driven nor is it to become the be all to end all of diving practices.

I like how Warren said that he had a hard time following this thread b/c its on so many different forums. This has been a hot topic in the dive community forever. I am all for supporting the LDS. The thread had nothing to do with that just with a few questions and it got turned into something that it should never have become. Chest beating gets no where and I often leave the conversation shaking my head at this. (I just happened to have time as the farmers discussed resolutions in the other room to respond and I will correct my spelling mistakes that I see when I am off the blackberry.)

Play nice in the sand box boys. I luv you all you know that but it never gets anywhere like this.

Last edited by Jen; 01-14-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typosssss