View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 01:48 PM

Ian is on a distinguished road
Default Carlingford / Stonewreck update

Jack Wenger and I tagged along with Osprey Dive Charters afternoon trip aboard the Southwind to the Carlingford today. We went in last, just as the first divers started to ascend so that we wouldn't destroy the visibility for the paying customers. While Jack attached a new tag line with center float from the line to the wreck, I started to dig down the side of the block to get at the shackle for the old mooring chain. After removing the shackle, the fun started, as there was 20’ of ½” chain , about 20’ of old 3/8” tag line and a good 30’ of old ¾” old mooring line (the rest went off to be tangled in the wreck) all tangled in a zebra encrusted bundle about five feet up the new mooring line.

When I installed the new chain and line last year I couldn’t get the old one off, so I deflated the jug and secured everything old to the bottom so it wouldn’t entangle. I guess someone thought they were helping and decided to re-inflate the jug. The result was that it took us almost 30 minutes and a lot of cutting (an olfa razor blade knife is the diver’s best tool) to clear and bag everything to the surface.

The plan was for Jack to clear the far end of the line from the wreck and bag it while I was to attach a bag to the chain after I undid it. The tangled mess at the line was unexpected. After me digging and knocking the vis down to zilch, Jack found a loose end and started to coil it up. It wasn’t until we hit the surface that we realized what he had was a section that I had cut off and not the far end of the line. That means there is a short section still on the wreck.

As this was a two dive charter we didn’t have time to go back down as everyone was ready to move on to the Stonewreck. If anyone happens to make it out to the Carlingford, I would appreciate it if they could take the time to remove the remaining section. It should only be about 30’ long and shouldn’t take long to clear.

An interesting point on the Stonewreck for anyone going out. It appears the winter currents moving around the wreck have cleared a section about 25’ off the bow. There is a hole about 3’ deep (down to the solid bottom) and about 15’ in diameter. It’s filled with artifacts such as dead eyes, a small anchor with the stock of a larger anchor partially exposed. This is a naturally occurring hole which will probably fill back in at some point so you may want to check it out before it does.

I’d like to thank Jim Herbert of Osprey Dive Charters for taking us out. He has helped the project a lot over the years and without people like him and Spencer Shoniker, a lot of Lake Erie mooring stuff wouldn’t get done.