View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 03:28 PM

Ian is on a distinguished road
Default Tiller open again

The 2009 Hamilton and Scourge + Tiller survey has been completed. The CCGS Griffon was back in town yesterday and removed the heavy moorings (7 in total) from all the vessels.

We got out this morning, untied and refloated the mooring line and attached one of our new "Tall Boy" mooring buoys complete with flashing solar light and internal radar reflector. Stands out like a sore thumb compared to the old style.

John Schertzer from Pearl Dive Charters ran Dave Gilchrist, Steve Rogers, my wife Barb and myself out. While I untangled and floated the mooring line, Barb and Dave inspected the wreck while Steve took photos. They also installed a small jug to the bow to help mark the wreck for when we go to place a new heavier mooring block in the near future. Please note that you CANNOT tie off to the small jug.

The survey group did a great job, we didn't see anything to even indicate that the were there.

Not only did John have the new buoy installed by the time we surfaced, there was already another boat there tied off and getting ready to dive.

There were some pictures taken of the new style buoy which I'll post here when I get them.

NOTSHIP C-906-09 Lake_Ontario - West end - Chart 2077 - 2009/05/24 Privately maintained orange and white mooring buoy marking an unidentified shipwreck in position: 43 14.769N 79 17.075W. Buoy is equipped with Flashing Amber light FL4s and 8" radar reflector.