PDA

View Full Version : Storing Equipment for the Winter

S Ruth
01-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Is there anything special that I should do while I store my gear over the winter. Can the seals on the drysuit dryout? Batteries for can light? Regs... etc. Thanks for any advice.

Rob Smith
01-08-2009, 09:04 AM
I am no pro but I can make a few suggestions on things I do.

I have a dedicated closet and bought a closet organizer. Firstly I always wash my gear after every use, so if it gets stored and not used for awhile it at least was put away clean and dry. Remove batteries from lights and if it is a cannister, charge it and unplug the connector (battery to light) and store. I hang wetsuits, BCD and Wings, wings partially inflated. I hate having a million containers around so I bought the ones at Wal-Mart (perforated top) and store masks, computers, slates reels etc in it. I use a perforated container so it breaths and yet keeps out the little critters. My drysuit I always tie a bounce sheet inside to keep it fresh, as it never gets put away much since I have been diving all through the season. I have a separate container I keep my regs in with a few moisture munchers to keep them dry you could use a reg bag as well. As long as everything is at room temperature, out of direct sunlight or UV rays, dry and sealed from bugs and mice, that’s about all you can do. Tanks I keep in the same closet, I have 5 Al 80’s and a set of doubles, yes the closet is pretty much full. If you have a drysuit you can hang it or store it in the carry bag, depending again what the manufacture suggests and wax the zipper before you store it. Some suggest you remove the dryglove rings to help the seals, again might want to refer to the manufaturers recommendations. If you have a heated garage that would suffice, again beware of mice, they love to chew on gear.

Hope this helped....

P.S. Another idea is............ Don’t store it ...... DIVE IT!!!!!!....lol....

Jen
01-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I look at storing gear in the winter the same as not diving for a couple months. Make sure that its not in areas that experience high moisture, and no air movement. You can buy a seal saver but it should really be started when the seals are new. I've only used it a couple times, and to be honest have never really given much thought to it on the seals. I've had seals last a couple years and others last almost a year. Things that might get moldy, make sure that they are dry...but also make note of anything that may need fixing or replacing so that when you do decide to go diving...its ready to go. Check the dates on the tanks, and get them VIP'd if needed. Lots of people use January/February as the month to get regs serviced and tanks done b/c the dive shops are a bit slower and the divers aren't in a huge rush so things can be done usually well and in a timely manor.

Chantelle
01-08-2009, 10:46 AM
All of the above is really good advice. I was trying to think of what to tell you, but to be honest, I don't think I've ever actually stored my gear...lol.

Jen and Rob are right on there, I think! :cool:

Joe
01-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Is there anything special that I should do while I store my gear over the winter. Can the seals on the drysuit dryout? Batteries for can light? Regs... etc. Thanks for any advice.

Hi Steve,

Go check out the upper river. I use to dive there in the winter when everything else was frozen. When Lake Erie freezes the viz gets pretty good too.

serge
01-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I find the best method to store gear is to not store gear and keep diving ;)

There was a year that I didn't really dive at all though. To be honest I didn't do anything other than what I normally do. I have some big tupperware totes. Once all my gear was fully dry. Into the tote it went. That's it.

Serge.

PeteSmith
01-09-2009, 08:56 PM
If you must stop diving and store your geaar, make sure it's away from any electric motors(furnace fans, humidifiers, etc) as all electric motors generate ozone, which is a real rubber killer.

My 2 cents...........

Kevin
01-23-2009, 06:57 PM
If you are finished diving for the year and need anything inspected or serviced, get it done before it's put away. No sense storing tanks with moisture in them, or regs with salt and corrosion growing inside.
This way you know they are clean and dry, lubricated, and ready to dive as soon as the lid comes off the water in the spring. And theres no waiting for the annual spring rush to get them serviced.

As others have said, make sure anything made of rubber is completely dry and try to store it in a cool dry place with some air movement. Ozone will destroy your seals in about a month so stay away from electric motors and florescent lights.

sharon
01-23-2009, 08:32 PM
What about neoprene seals on a dry suit? Will they dry out too. I've never been out of the water this long.:(

Kevin
01-25-2009, 10:09 PM
What about neoprene seals on a dry suit? Will they dry out too. I've never been out of the water this long.:(

Its the same neoprene as a wetsuit so the same rules apply, dry them thoroughly, then store in a cool, dry, ventilated space away from flourscent lights and electric motors.