PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Haliburton!

PeteSmith
01-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm Pete smith, friends call me smiffy, 'cause in England(where I'm from originally) people with the last name Smith are often called smiffy. Anyway, I started diving in Feb of 2008, got about 20 dives in so far. I started out doing rec style diving, and am now going the DIR route, planning to DIR-F in the spring.

I'm not diving right now, since i only have a wetsuit, but am in the process of acquiring a drysuit from Serge on this board. I bought a set of doubles, Apex DS4's and BP/W in August and really love my setup.

A buddy of mine, Rob Smith mentioned this board to me, if any of you get the chance to dive with him, he's a solid dive buddy.

Hope to meet a bunch of you folks for some diving soon. I love just about any kind of diving, particularly wreck diving.

serge
01-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Hey Pete,

Good to see you here. Welcome to the forums and hope to meet you at a dive site soon.

There are a few of us signed up for DIR-F at the end of May. Have you signed up yet? Which course are you on?

Serge.

PeteSmith
01-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Hey Pete,

Good to see you here. Welcome to the forums and hope to meet you at a dive site soon.

There are a few of us signed up for DIR-F at the end of May. Have you signed up yet? Which course are you on?

Serge.

Haven't signed up yet, hope to do so this week.

Joe
01-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Welcome aboard Pete.

Glad to here your taking GUEf in the spring. There are a number of GUE divers here already, as well as, we have 5 members taking fundies this May. Keep an eye on the dive planning forum. I'm sure once the weather breaks we will be hitting the water to practice fundies skills. Your more than welcome to join us.

PeteSmith
01-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Welcome aboard Pete.

Glad to here your taking GUEf in the spring. There are a number of GUE divers here already, as well as, we have 5 members taking fundies this May. Keep an eye on the dive planning forum. I'm sure once the weather breaks we will be hitting the water to practice fundies skills. Your more than welcome to join us.

Awesome, I'm into practicing Fundies skills with you guys when the weather gets a little nicer. I'll look forward to it!

I'm doing some pools sessions with a Peterborough LDS starting 17th Jan, if anyone would care to join me.

Rob Smith
01-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm Pete smith, friends call me smiffy, 'cause in England(where I'm from originally) people with the last name Smith are often called smiffy. Anyway, I started diving in Feb of 2008, got about 20 dives in so far. I started out doing rec style diving, and am now going the DIR route, planning to DIR-F in the spring.

I'm not diving right now, since i only have a wetsuit, but am in the process of acquiring a drysuit from Serge on this board. I bought a set of doubles, Apex DS4's and BP/W in August and really love my setup.

A buddy of mine, Rob Smith mentioned this board to me, if any of you get the chance to dive with him, he's a solid dive buddy.

Hope to meet a bunch of you folks for some diving soon. I love just about any kind of diving, particularly wreck diving.

Hey Pete! Welcome aboard, it's been awhile. Thanks for the kind words, I'll pay ya for it when I see ya. LOL About time you went dry now there is no excuse!

Take Care

Rob

Jay Roy
01-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Welcome to the board Pete!

Jen
01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
It was nice to meet you and Rob today.

Rob Smith
01-04-2009, 04:33 PM

It was a really great to meet up with you folks too. Always a pleasure to meet up with other divers and talk shop. Coffee wasn't bad either!

Have a good one

Rob

jmya
01-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Pete,

I'm a Brummie turned Canadian who is currently living in Rochester, New York! I'd be happy to go diving with you (I'm going the GUE route - did fundies last year and I'm planning on cave 1 in the fall).

Cheers,
Jase.

Joe
01-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Pete,

I'm a Brummie turned Canadian who is currently living in Rochester, New York! I'd be happy to go diving with you (I'm going the GUE route - did fundies last year and I'm planning on cave 1 in the fall).

Cheers,
Jase.

Whats a Brummie?? :)

sharon
01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Whats a Brummie?? :)

Definitions of brummie on the Web:

a native or resident of Birmingham, England
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I love google search:)

PeteSmith
01-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Pete,

Cheers,
Jase.

Wotcha, mate! I was born in Woolwich, but lived mostly in Cambridge. I'm now living about 2 hours north of Toronto.

We'll have to connect sometime and get some dives in.

PeteSmith
01-04-2009, 06:35 PM

Likewise, Jen :)

JohnG
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
yah nice to meet you guys today!

serge
01-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Nice to meet you and pete today.

Did you try on the Dry Suit at all? How did it fit?
Posted via Mobile Device

PeteSmith
01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Nice to meet you and pete today.

Did you try on the Dry Suit at all? How did it fit?
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice you to meet you, too, Serge.

The suit fits great! That is apart from the feet! What would you recommend I replace the boots with? Bearing in mind that I wear a size 15 shoe and and have Jet fins.

Rob Smith
01-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Pete... I know the Bare Trek boot only goes to a size 13, as the same as the drysuit boot. http://barescubadiving.com/canada/size-charts/default.asp

Give them a call or email and maybe they can make a size for you?
I have read in another forum (don't shoot me) that a lot of guys with a foot your size size get the socks and use a sneaker or light weight hiking boot.

PeteSmith
01-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Pete... I know the Bare Trek boot only goes to a size 13, as the same as the drysuit boot. http://barescubadiving.com/canada/size-charts/default.asp

Give them a call or email and maybe they can make a size for you?
I have read in another forum (don't shoot me) that a lot of guys with a foot your size size get the socks and use a sneaker or light weight hiking boot.

Thanks for the info, Rob. And thanks again for doing the drive to Welland. Much appreciated.

serge
01-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Well I'm a turbo soul fan now. If you can get turbo souls then I highly recommened it.

The added bonus is you should be able to use the same fins for both wet and dry.

Both my suits now have turbo soul style feet. Very functional.

Serge.

Nice you to meet you, too, Serge.

The suit fits great! That is apart from the feet! What would you recommend I replace the boots with? Bearing in mind that I wear a size 15 shoe and and have Jet fins.

PeteSmith
01-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Turbo Soul? Is that what you get when you play a James Brown record at 78 rpm instead of 33?:p

Or is it turbo sole, a really fast fish?:D

Sorry, but my mind goes silly when I'm tired!:eek:

Seriously, though, I'll look into the turbo soles.

serge
01-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Haha I'm bad for typo's. Ya Turbo Soles :D

Turbo Soul? Is that what you get when you play a James Brown record at 78 rpm instead of 33?:p

Or is it turbo sole, a really fast fish?:D

Sorry, but my mind goes silly when I'm tired!:eek:

Seriously, though, I'll look into the turbo soles.

Chris2257
01-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Welcome Pete, looking forward to meeting you at one of our dives.:)

Chantelle
01-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Pete,

Cheers,
Jase.

Heyyyy... I recognize that fella! :D