PDA

View Full Version : Dive sites

serge
06-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone has any "Off the beaten path" type dive sites in the Niagara Region?

Even if it's something you haven't dove but looks like a good prospect.

There is a group of us that would like to do some different dives and even some exploration in some areas not typically dove.

Any suggestions would be appriciated. Maybe we can find some new and exciting dive spots around here.

Serge.

Jay Roy
06-02-2009, 03:36 PM
I have been looking at some spots along the lake shore to do some scootering from..There was a nice spot near Jordan I wanted to check out...Good parking and easy entry...

jpiasky
06-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Dove a quarry in nanticoke unfortunatly the hole thing was only twelve feet deep . disappointed!

serge
06-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I have been looking at some spots along the lake shore to do some scootering from..There was a nice spot near Jordan I wanted to check out...Good parking and easy entry...

Name the time and place (well you already named the place technically) we can go check it out :)

Jen
06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
I've been scoping out along the lake as well. The only problem is that its so shallow for so far out. Boaters would be of concern because you can't get away from them...depth wise. Jimmy was telling me about a boat that sunk off the shoreline behind the marina at Port Weller. This little bay is roughly 50 ft I think, and is where they practiced the mooring stuff before heading out to the tiller. This boat in question I guess left the marina and caught on fire and sunk. This was just over 20 years ago. It might be kind of cool to gain some permission to drive out to the grass and scooter off the beach on that end to see whats there.

serge
06-03-2009, 09:28 AM
That would be cool. I wonder who we'd have to contact.

I've been scoping out along the lake as well. The only problem is that its so shallow for so far out. Boaters would be of concern because you can't get away from them...depth wise. Jimmy was telling me about a boat that sunk off the shoreline behind the marina at Port Weller. This little bay is roughly 50 ft I think, and is where they practiced the mooring stuff before heading out to the tiller. This boat in question I guess left the marina and caught on fire and sunk. This was just over 20 years ago. It might be kind of cool to gain some permission to drive out to the grass and scooter off the beach on that end to see whats there.

Jen
06-03-2009, 12:12 PM
My guess is the Marina. There is grass there, and fire-pit....use to take the dogs swimming at the little "beach" area there and it would have easy access if we had permission to drive to it via the marina side. There is the Seaway Haulage road access there, but its gated and can be a long haul with gear to walk it in. All this shoreline and its either privately owned....or they make steep concrete walls along it so that you can't get to it.

Chris C
06-03-2009, 01:08 PM
google map quarrie rd and maplewood dr. we dove there before, but would be better w scooters.

KevinB
06-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey everyone
We are diving the Marengo off Morgans Point a few times a month lots of wreckage went down 1912 The one side is over 150 ft long. There is the Edward Kelly off the port colborne east break wall haven't found a way out there yet but working on it as well doing some investigating of two wrecks in Lake Ontario will advise if found.

Kevin

Chris2257
06-09-2009, 09:42 PM
The Marengo is a bit of a walk out to swimmable water, its a decent dive but a bit shallow.
Let me know if you can locate the Edward Kelley

Ian
06-10-2009, 05:14 PM
The Marengo is a bit of a walk out to swimmable water, its a decent dive but a bit shallow.
Let me know if you can locate the Edward Kelley

The Edward Kelly is divided into two parts. One is east of the east breakwall and the other is west of the outer breakwall. Best to get to them by boat. The part east of the breakwall is only 10-13' feet deep and about .5 KM from Nickol Beach if you don't have a boat and want to swim /scooter to it.

The NDA held a NAS level 1 course in port Colborne in 1999 in conjunction with the city and the Kelly was used for the survey dives. Doug King continued the survey in 2000 and did up some drawings.

He also found the anchor sitting in someones yard since it had been recovered years ago and did a drawing and measurements of it as well.

I've never seen his finished drawing but have some of his rough field work ones.