PDA

View Full Version : Finished OW

SteveG
05-19-2009, 11:24 AM
I finished my 4 open water dives this weekend in Prescott which was awesome!!
I did 2 dives on Sat. and was supposed to do the other 2 on Sun. with the rest of the students but my wife got really sick and I had to stay home and take care of her and the kids. So when I called the instructor to let him know he said we could work it out for a day that just the 2 of us would go out.
Well we set it up for yesturday and did the 3rd dive from the Prescott wharf to finish up all my skills and then for the last dive and the compass work he said he would take me to the Rothesay, Man! that was cool, my first wreck.. I AM HOOKED, We also saw a HUGE Pike that let us get right up to him. This was one of the most awesome things I've seen, a sidewheel steamer just sitting peacefully on the bottom of the St. Lawrence, from the top you would never know she's there.

OH YA forgot to mention I'M CERTIFIED, YEE HAW

<><S><>

Jay Roy
05-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Congrats Steve
Welcome to a new world where you will have a crapload of fun...meet many amazing people and spend a pile of money :D

Glad you enjoyed your first dives..its a very addicting sport...

Chantelle
05-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Congratulations!! Welcome to the addiction that is diving!! :D w00 h00!

Jay Roy
05-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Congratulations!! Welcome to the addiction that is diving!! :D w00 h00!

I'm waiting for one of us to appear on the show, Intervention rofl

KevinS
05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Good for you Steve. As Jay said, be prepaired to spend a couple of bucks. Don't tell the wife or girl friend how much it costs.........
If you go Tech. its a bundle, if you go the Padi way its a bundle ?? Tread the water and take it slowly, and when you get fifty dives under your weight belt then look at what you want to do next. This forum carries all types of certified divers, so ask questions, and kept breathing !!

Cheers:D
Kevin

Chantelle
05-20-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm waiting for one of us to appear on the show, Intervention rofl

ROFL... I wonder if anyone has nominated us for it... :o

SteveG
05-20-2009, 04:21 PM
I know exactly what everyone means, all i keep thinking about is my next dive, and my next purchase, but that will be a while yet, I'm married with 3 little kids so the fact that my accountant (wife) has let me get a complete set of gear and wetsuit is plenty for me right now........but an extra tank and a computer wouldn't hurt!!!

I'm looking forward to diving in the canal next week. Now to try and convince my wife to start diving:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

jmya
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Now to try and convince my wife to start diving:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hmmm, might want to think about that for a bit! (i.e. shed-loads of cash, multiply by two,....) I almost sh*t when I paid the weekend's charter/gas/motel fees for me and the missus on Osprey last year....

SteveG
05-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeh, good point!!! good point indeed. For some reason she is not interested in it one little bit!! :(:(

KevinS
05-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Think of all the money you just saved!!!

Check with the local (St. Catharines) dive shops to see what they have for computers and bottles. Check this forum to see when there are people going out for a dive.

K.:)

Jay Roy
05-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Steve,
Quick tip...Instead of investing in a computer that you don`t really need...Try a simple bottom timer...
http://www.scubapro.com/americas/english/uwatec-products/gauges/instruments/uwatec-digital-depth-gauge

These devices show all the info you really need on a dive and can be purchased for less then $200...I often see them for sale used for little more then $100...
If you really think about it, depth, max depth, time is all you really need...these gauges give you all of the above and cheaper then a `puter....Its costs a lot of bucks to get into diving, so saving some here in there with smart purchases really helps...

Jay Roy
05-21-2009, 10:25 PM
ROFL... I wonder if anyone has nominated us for it... :o

I think I know someone that might have......:rolleyes:

SteveG
05-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Check with the local (St. Catharines) dive shops to see what they have for computers and bottles. Check this forum to see when there are people going out for a dive.

Yeh I'm hoping someone is going out this weekend or next week into the canal, I am leaving Sat. Morning and will be in Welland sometime in the afternoon

<><S><>

SteveG
05-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks Kevin I'll look into the bottom timer's for sure, because if i can save a couple of bucks... thats a bonus

Jen
05-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Hopefully the silt will have settled enough for you to see the boat.....I guess that will depend on how fast the boat sinks. We'll all be there...as will many other people I am sure. There will many people there who will be happy to get you on some "first" dives out of certification. Diving with different people as a new diver will allow you to see what kind of diving there is...by this I mean watching the different styles of diving...and most importantly....talking to other divers. Divers may not always share the same views or styles of diving...but one thing they do share is the love and need to be in the water. No matter what the diving style or preference, divers will know the local dive spots, and are more than happy to share that information for the most part.

See you Saturday!

Jay Roy
05-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks Kevin I'll look into the bottom timer's for sure, because if i can save a couple of bucks... thats a bonus

Hey now..give the credit where the credit is due! :D

SteveG
05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Sorry Jay Roy, My mistake, and thank you for the info on the bottom timers, I should be in Welland around 2 pm and as soon as I unpack eveything and get the family settled I'll shoot down to the canal and hopefully get a chance to meet some of ya...

<><S><>

jpiasky
05-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Congats Steve . Welcome to the Club .
It's so easy to justify your wants as needs . So Steve have
a plan do your homework and don"t let passion blind you or you will spend as Jay said piles of money .

Jay Roy
05-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Well, you can still throw around piles of money..but where you throw sure makes a difference...
Buying right the first time will save you in the long run..I know I'm not the only one with a Rubbermaid box or two of useless gear :D

jpiasky
05-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I hear ya !