PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk UNDIES!

Rob Smith
01-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Get your minds out of the gutter, I am talking about drysuit undies:p

looking for opinions, on one peice or the top and bottoms with socks, wicking and or fleece materials. I like the 4th elements, and the DUI jumpsuits. I looked at the new Sub Zero but they look way to thick for diving in the warmer months. Another concern is I am installing a P Valve in my suit so I need to consider alterations / adjustments easy access...lol. I dive a Bare Trilam HD tech dry and I was using a fleece top and bottoms from Walmart last year to get an idea of insulation and found them to be a bit on the warmer than I need side and very bulky.

Thanks in advanced

Joe
02-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Hi Rob,

Don't waste your time with the other brands. I have.

Go here.
http://www.santicanada.com/

Best fit, best quality, great range of motion, and you have your choice of a button hole or three way zipper to run a pee valve.

jmya
02-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Any old crap, i.e fleece, will work for short dives in reasonable temperatures. What sort of exposures are you contemplating?

For summer, where you aren't spending a whole lot of time below the thermocline, I would say that some 200g type B thinsulate would be good (DUI/Santi/Bare). In the spring you will freeze your ass off though.

For spring/fall you'll need the 400g (DUI/Santi).

Rob Smith
02-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Any old crap, i.e fleece, will work for short dives in reasonable temperatures. What sort of exposures are you contemplating?

For summer, where you aren't spending a whole lot of time below the thermocline, I would say that some 200g type B thinsulate would be good (DUI/Santi/Bare). In the spring you will freeze your ass off though.

For spring/fall you'll need the 400g (DUI/Santi).

I work outside year round have built up a good resistance to cold temperatures so cold doesn't bother me as much as most. New Years day I dove Humber about 9 am in my jeans and sweater with fleece pants and top. I was ok warm wise just a bit heavy in layers. I think I'll be fine with the Santi BZ 200 for now, I can't afford two suits. I dive Kingston, Brockville, Toby but this year I plan to hit Lake Erie more. Doing the Ice course at the end of Feb but I'll be ok for that suit wise.

Jen
02-01-2009, 08:17 PM
200g Bz Thinsulate should be fine then and you can always add a vest...for the core. For Brockville I normally use solar fleece top and bottom under my shell suit and am fine. Kingston I find I need a bit more. For the Great Lakes...the 200 g is a pretty good option in general past the therocline.

serge
02-01-2009, 08:43 PM
200g Bz Thinsulate should be fine then and you can always add a vest...for the core. For Brockville I normally use solar fleece top and bottom under my shell suit and am fine. Kingston I find I need a bit more. For the Great Lakes...the 200 g is a pretty good option in general past the therocline.

Interesting. I've used Polar fleece in the past. What happens when diving on a cloudy day or night diving? Does solar fleece still have good thermal properties? Also does depth effect it as you go deeper and the sunlight slowly gets dimmer?

Note: ya I know I'm being a sh*t but I just couldn't help myself :D

Rob Smith
02-01-2009, 08:45 PM
and here I thought SOLAR fleece was a new DIR thingy...LMAOOOOOOOO

Chantelle
02-01-2009, 11:06 PM
In the spring/summer/fall, I use the 4th Element stuff, for water above about 45 degrees. Depending on the temperatures, I will interchange the pieces. I really do like the two piece option for this. For the almost 50 degree water, I will wear the Arctic top and bottoms (supposedly a 400g match). They are so easy to move around in, and are great for the river. In warmer temperatures, if I'm doing a longer dive, I will wear the Arctic top with the Xerotherm bottoms (supposedly a 200g match), and seem to be perfect. If the water is around the 70 degree mark, I wear the Xerotherm top and bottom, and all is well. Another thing I like about these is that if you have a leak in your suit, you do not have a clue that you're wet until you doff your suit. You cannot feel the wet. You may get a chill slightly quicker than if you were dry, but you don't feel the water. The outside of the material is wet, and the inside mostly dry.

I like that I can interchange pieces with these undies.

For water below 50 degrees... although I haven't ordered a set.. YET... I would totally go with those Santis. It seems I've made up my mind to go with them. :) After seeing them on friends, and hearing their testimonials, I think I'm sold.

Jen
02-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Interesting. I've used Polar fleece in the past. What happens when diving on a cloudy day or night diving? Does solar fleece still have good thermal properties? Also does depth effect it as you go deeper and the sunlight slowly gets dimmer?

Note: ya I know I'm being a sh*t but I just couldn't help myself :D

ya ya ya....anyways.....my fleece is just fine thank you...:p

Chris2257
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Rob, Like Joe I have tried a few, I have the SANTI BZ200 and a 400gm vest on order. That will work for spring (vest optional), summer (no vest), fall (vest optional). If its really cold (winter) I will wear my DUI 400gm "gumby" wear. I also have 4th Element base and Mountain Equipment Coop base as options.:)

Rob Smith
02-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Rob, Like Joe I have tried a few, I have the SANTI BZ200 and a 400gm vest on order. That will work for spring (vest optional), summer (no vest), fall (vest optional). If its really cold (winter) I will wear my DUI 400gm "gumby" wear. I also have 4th Element base and Mountain Equipment Coop base as options.:)

Spoke with a great santi rep lol , the price is better than expected so I am going to check out options and get fitted for a BZ200, and I'll talk prices for a vest have it ordered for the end of the month. Waiting for my explorer wing and P valve to come in and hopefully I will win the 649...lol... I like the vest option the best for the off season, by next winter santa can bring me the BZ400.

MossMan
02-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Oren Levstein was out diving with me for a few days and had the Santi 400 and it looked great. I've tried many different types and have been using the DUI 400G the last few years and have been recommending it to all the cold water divers I frequent with.

Problem is we all have this DUI 400G and it lasts maybe a year if you don't wash it. After a short period of time it compresses to about 200G. It get's expensive buying new ones every year.

I also tried the Diving Concepts 200 with a vest ... that was the worst. I think most of it is on the floor as the threads all came out and it is way to cold for the diving I am involved with.

Is there a dealer in Canada where I could source the Santi's? After seeing Oren's and hearing of the performance I would like to try some for myself.

Greg

serge
02-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey Greg,

I can help with Santi in Canada. I'll send you a PM.

Serge.

MossMan
02-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Hey Greg,

I can help with Santi in Canada. I'll send you a PM.

Serge.

Thanks Serge.

Mark
03-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Just reading the posts on the undergarment thoughts; could someone send me the link to Santi
Thnx

JohnG
03-12-2009, 08:47 PM
there whole product line can be seen at

www santidiving .com

if you are looking for for pricing and or specific info on an item email

info@santicanada.com