PDA

View Full Version : Wing Choice

Rob Smith
01-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Thinking about picking up a new wing and I am wondering what you all use. I am leaning towards the Halcyon Explorer. Any thoughts or opinions would be great.

Thanks

Rob

Jay Roy
01-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Halcyon Explorer is a good choice...What size tanks do you have? Its important to get the proper lift....

Joe
01-24-2009, 09:04 PM
The Explorer is a good choice. I currently use the Evolve and it's good too. Jays right when he says the size is what's important as there are several manufacturers that make good wings. for your 104's and 130's get a 55 lb Explorer or 60 lb Evolve for 80's get a 40 Evolve.

Jay Roy
01-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Or the 40 Explorer is a good wing for the double 80's...

For my double 80's, I have an Agir-Brokk 38lb lift..
Also a nice wing...http://www.salvosupply.com/inc/sdetail/203

Looks like its gone up in price tho..When I bought mine, it was closer to $300, which made it a nice option over the Halcyon..I wasn't sure how often I was going to be diving my double 80's and wanted to get a good wing at a good price...

Rob Smith
01-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Halcyon Explorer is a good choice...What size tanks do you have? Its important to get the proper lift....

I have a set of Worthington X8 119's, so they are about 4 inches smaller in height than the 130's, will that make much of a difference if I go with the explorer?

Currently using a OMS 60 pound bunged style without the bungee's, but i hate the inflators hose location on the upper front. I can use this for double 80'sdown the road or sell it.

http://www.scubaontario.ca/community/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=118

Jay Roy
01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I have a set of Worthington X8 119's, so they are about 4 inches smaller in height than the 130's, will that make much of a difference if I go with the explorer?

Currently using a OMS 60 pound bunged style without the bungee's, but i hate the inflators hose location on the upper front. I can use this for double 80'sdown the road or sell it.

I'd go with a 50lb lift for those...
The 60lb OMS wing is way to much wing for double 80's...The wing I use for mine is 38lbs....
I see you posted a pic...the inflator is in a bad spot..and the OP valve is in a REAL bad spot...

Rob Smith
01-24-2009, 10:18 PM
I'd go with a 50lb lift for those...
The 60lb OMS wing is way to much wing for double 80's...The wing I use for mine is 38lbs....
I see you posted a pic...the inflator is in a bad spot..and the OP valve is in a REAL bad spot...

Yes unfortunately I see that now, but live and learn, Alot of guys I know dive these in my area, but for me it just doesn't feel right and a poor design in my opinion, but lesson learned. So the 55 lb explorer will be ok I take it, thats what i'll go with.

Thanks Guys

Joe
01-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Rob is there 2 OPV's on that wing? That's not a good spot at all. I would post that wing on the Deco Stop, someone will buy it, then pick up a used explorer. I see them listed forsale once in awhile and they usually go for around $250.00.

Joe
01-24-2009, 11:11 PM
These are pretty good too.

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35246

Jay Roy
01-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Yes unfortunately I see that now, but live and learn,

Don't worry dude..you should see some of the shite I've had before lol

I'd check out that wing Joe posted the link to..Ask for some pics...

Rob Smith
01-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Don't worry dude..you should see some of the shite I've had before lol

I'd check out that wing Joe posted the link to..Ask for some pics...

Thanks Joe! The wing has two OP valves, one on the upper right and one lower left, The inflator hose is the problem. Thanks the info at deco stop, I will look into it.

I appreciate the help guys.

Joe
01-25-2009, 04:29 PM
No Problem. Agir stuff is pretty good and if that guy still has his maybe you can get a sweat deal.

JohnG
01-25-2009, 08:08 PM
also check out the golem 55lb wing pretty well bomb proof. I dive the halcyon explorere 55. also a great wing.

Chantelle
01-25-2009, 08:10 PM
I use an Evolve 40 lb wing for my AL80s and PST E7-100s, and an Evolve 60 lb for my PST E8-130s. Both are awesome. :)

Kevin
01-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Best thing to do is sit down and figure out how much LIFT you reallly need. Remember that ideally your rig should be balanced to the point where you can easily hold a hover at 10' with an empty wing, near empty tanks and no ditchable weight. This means the wing is really only carrying the weight of the gas in the tanks plus any ditchable items you are carrying (scooters, stages, cameras, etc.) You'd be surprised at how small a wing you really need when you start selecting gear based on its buoyancy characteristics. This doesnt mean select an ultra small wing since you may need to swim a buddy out in an ememrgency, but the super big 60,70,80,100 lb wings are just overkill. 55 lbs is plenty for a set of large steels.

Once you know what size of wing you need, look at the shape (donut vs horshoe) and features such as OPRV and dump valve placement and inflator placement.

I've been diving the same 55lb Halcyon Explorer on my 104's for 7 years and wouldn't give it up for the world. I also use a 40 lb explorer for my 80's. I just dont like the way the HP hose runs across the bottom of the donut wings. The Agir wings are also well built and have an excellent reputation.

Jean f
01-26-2009, 01:32 PM
I have curently and halcyon evolve 60 for my 130's and explorer 40 for double al80's

I also have used diverites classic wing. Witch is also a great wing and are very affordable (as low as 60bucks on ebay )and it is everywear .The reason i got rid of my old classic is the fac that with the worthington tanks i always find my self knees down with a horse shoe wing .

PeteSmith
10-02-2009, 07:29 AM
I've used the Halcyon Evolve 40 with double AL 80's and it's great! I am in the market for one, if anyone knows of one for sale. :)

Matthew Mandziuk
11-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Just retired my Classic wing this year after nearly 10 years and over 2000 dives on it. I went to a Halcyon Explorer 55 this year. Flawless wing (and in Red), slightly better trim, as the lower part flanges out just a hair further than the Classic, a slight bit wider and a bit more lift at the top of the wing too.

I tried the Evolve last season as it's my best seller, but it didn't work for me. Inverted me too much, as there's too much lift in the rear.