PDA

View Full Version : Luxfer leaving scuba business

Ian
01-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi, all -

For those that haven't heard, Luxfer is essentially leaving the scuba tank business. Luxfer made the aluminum 80 scuba tank ubiquitous in the 1970's and 1980's, but they have now apparently decided it is no longer profitable. They still have a very large presence in other markets such as industrial and medical cylinders, which are much larger than the scuba industry.

Note Luxfer is not stopping production per se, although they have not made a scuba tank in about three months. Instead, they have raised their pricing to distributors by more than 25%, raised minimum orders, and cut their selection of tanks by more than half. The result is they have essentially made themselves a non-player since they will be so expensive no one will buy them. There is still Catalina and Hy-Mark making aluminum scuba cylinders, and Hy-Mark cylinders are very close to the Luxfer tank's buoyancy characteristics.

Still, it's sad to see a cornerstone of the scuba industry leaving the market after many decades.

Jay Roy
01-15-2009, 08:33 PM
I better stock up on stages...

Rob Smith
01-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Glad I grabbed up the 4 my buddy had sittin in his basement.

Jimmer
01-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm sitting on 3 right now, just found a completely spotless one for next to nothing.

This brings me to another thought, how are you guys allocating your 80's? I assume you are using the GUE style MOD markers, so presumably you have each bottle dedicated to a certain mix? Are you guys using 80's for O2, or are 40's more than adequate for O2?

Chantelle
01-15-2009, 10:03 PM
I use an 80 for 50% and a 40 for 100%.

Jay Roy
01-15-2009, 11:03 PM
A 40 is more then enough for O2...
On a 40, with a SAC of around .7, to be safe, in the 20 foot range, your breathing around 60psi a minute..Thats about 50 mins of O2 time....I get two dives on the Jode out of that...Mind you, I usualy get my O2 bottle filled to around 2400 to help it ride a little better....