PDA

View Full Version : favorite dive sites or moments

sharon
01-13-2009, 08:59 PM
I noticed that most people haven't introduced themselves. What if everyone would mention their favorote dive site or what hooked them about diving back when they started.

I'll start, my first dive was in Hawaii. I was lucky enough to see turtles my fist time in the ocean. I just wanted to stay and watch longer. It was the most beautiful place I had ever seen. I needed to see more.

I dive in Ontario because I'm addicted to compressed air. I love that all my troubles float away when I dive. I love wrecks and so far the Tiller is my favorite.

Rob Smith
01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks for sharing that Sharon!

As a kid I was always interested in diving, underwater explorers and of course good old Jacques Cousteau. When I was in my late 20's I did the open water, back then you did everything in a weekend, but I never finished my certy when I was called away to work. Then came along my family and life went to fast. I finally said before I hit 40 I will get into it and go all the way. I was certified last May and haven't stopped since. My favourite dive so many to choose from but a couple come to mind. I booked a charter in Kingston with 12 new dive friends diving the Munson, Titanic and Cornwall for my 40th Birthday. Kingston has always been my fav since my first real dive was the Wolfe Islander. All I remember was seeing her come out of the green haze into focus and I near dropped a load in my new drysuit..lol. However It was Tobermory's Arabia that really hit me. Seeing something most people will never see, something that time has almost forgotten, it just blew me away. I can't pick a fav, they are all amazing dives. They may not be as special as some of the other folks here, but it was better than I ever imagined. With all the great people I have met, the great sites I have seen, I know as I go further into diving it'll only get better and that’s what keeps me coming back.

KevinS
01-13-2009, 10:29 PM
The Welland Scuba Park. It's the best. 10 minutes from home, free to dive there, and all the fish know me by my first name !!:p

serge
01-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Well I got certified back in 2001 if I remember right. I always had an interest in diving and wanted to dive Ship Wrecks (Was never a pritty fish and coral kind of guy).

From my first pool session I was 100% totally hooked. Spent many years doing lots and lots of wreck dives.

About 2 years ago I went and took my cave training in Florida. That is now my new sub passion and would give up all other diving to be able to cave dive on a regular basis. I'd have to say my favorite cave system at this point is Little River in florida.

I'm not sure what it is about cave diving that has me hooked but I enjoy it a lot. It's definatly not for everybody though.

At this point I count the days between cave trips (April right John :D)

I've done very little salt water diving. The only salt I've been in is 2 dives on my honeymoon on a reef (reef diving is better than no diving after all :eek:) and then a great trip a few years ago to NC to dive the U-Boat along with some other great wrecks.

Serge.

Joe
01-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Good thread Sharon.

I would have to say the St James. Deep fresh water schooners are my favorite.

Matthew Mandziuk
01-14-2009, 02:08 AM
I've been fortunate to share a lot of great memories with my friends and also technical diving students.

Some of my favourite sites are anything from being the 1st diver to ever set "fin" inside the Northwind's chain locker since it sank in 1925, to being one of a handful of people to make it into the engine room of the Empress of Ireland in the early 2000's, to diving the St. James a year after it was found on a nice Nitrox EAN27....back in the strokey days of TDI gas mixes, to the Fantail of the Northwind, virgin Mexico caves that I've repelled down 75+ feet to get into, to revisiting the awseome wrecks in Lake Erie, to even the 1st time I dove the Tiller. My dive resume is one of the most extensive in the country.

There are so many great dives from Canada, to Mexico, to Italy, to Greece and many other areas where I am planning trips and expeditions. Make sure you sign up for some great dive training classes and get in on some of the most unique diving experiences in the industry. PM me for more details.

pteminski
01-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi Gang,

Of all the fresh and salt water diving I have done, I must say if you have not seen the Keystorm you have have not seen dive heaven so close to home. A great lakes freighter that is sitting on its side at 45 dgrees with the bow in 30' and the stern in 105' it is a dive site for all levels. From open water to wreck penetration it is an enjoyable dive. There are no thermo clines due to the moving water and I have seen vis so good that at 105' you could look up and see the divers on the surface. Temperature of the water can be 50 to 55 degrees well into October which means no need for a gangly cumbersome dry suit. The rust on the hull mixed with the fresh water sponges reminds me of coral reef diving. There is an air pocket in one of the anchor pockets for you to explore. Just don't breath the air. The fish around the wreck are a site to behold. The Keystorm, one of the best dives around ... next to the swing bridge.

KevinS
01-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi Pete

What is the current like around the Keystorm? I need both hands to take pictures, and don't want to be tethered to anyone!!! If I can be hands free on this dive and you can pull me away from the Scuba Park, I would like to go and Dive the Keystorm.:D

jmya
01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
There is little current on the Keystorm if you stay in the lee of the wreck.

It's a nice wreck to be sure, but I wouldn't say it is dive-heaven. Maybe it's because I've only done it in silly-season (with silt-bombs galore - 100' vis?). Or maybe it's because I'm more partial to wooden wrecks?

The John J. Boland Jr. is a similar wreck (depression-era freighter) in similar condition. I like it better, but it is deeper and it doesn't lie on a shoal.

Katie Eccles and Sheboygan are some of my faves - and no current!

Diving with a pod of whales off the Kona coast was pretty cool, but I don't see it happening very often! Plus some Oceanic White-tips were eyeing me up like I might be a snack.

Jason.

sharon
01-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Diving with a pod of whales off the Kona coast was pretty cool, but I don't see it happening very often! Plus some Oceanic White-tips were eyeing me up like I might be a snack.

Jason.

Wow! They sound like incredible dives.

jmya
01-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Yes, I really enjoyed diving in Hawaii particularly the great vis - really crazy vis. I've been there twice, both times were for "work" but I managed to get quite a bit of diving in.

My wife has some made-up story of me screaming like a girl when the oceanics started checking us out... I like the lake, I know I'm the apex predator!

pteminski
01-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Hi Kevin and everyone else out there U/W,

I think you will have no problem on the Keystorm with a camera. We will have to get Paul and his RIB into Brockville for a week of diving. You will be amazed at the great diving. It has been years for me so lets do it.

Jen
01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
I found the Keystorm to not be too bad for current. I have been on it with very little current, and I have been on it with a bit of current. Brockville is an area that each wreck has varying degrees of current. There is the Daryaw that has a ripping current, the America, which starts with a bit on the surface, but then not too much closer to the wreck over the bank. It really depends on where the wrecks are in the channels. Some wrecks like the Vickory will have a good current going down to it, but then they shelter you for the most part for the rest of the dive.

For me...I like wrecks, but I really loved those caves in Mexico. I have never seen such amazing landscapes.

miked
01-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I am with Jen.
Mexico Caves are my favourite. Even though I have not been certified to dive caves I have done quite a few of the caverns on the Mayan Riviera. My favourite is either Angelita Cenote or The Pit. Both advanced cavern dives to depths of 130ft. Absolutley amazing. The day of my wedding my father in law to be, Dennis from Aqaunauts and myself did a full day of diving only to return 30 minutes before I got married. Was an amazing day of diving and one of my most memorable so far.

Also the Speigel Grove in Key Largo is pretty cool but I didnt get to spend alot of time on it. From that dive though I did get a pretty bad picture that I took published in the biggest dive magazine from Finland. Which is a prrety cool diving momnet for myself.

JohnG
01-16-2009, 05:50 PM
My favourite dives, Thats hard to figure out, NOT!!!

cave diving!! without a doubt. Like Serge I got cave certified about 2 years ago and fell in love. Easy access to the systems, awesome diving, and the whole dive is part of the dive not hang on a line for an hour. My favourite system is a toss up, I really like peacock springs, but Little river is cool as well.

But I still get the wreck diving bug so for wrecks my favourite is the Jodrey. Some others that I really enjoyed were- St. James, Schooner G, City of Sheboygan, Kattie Eccles, Comet

KevinB
01-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Some twenty years ago I signed up for a AOW class after maybe 2 dives beyond open water. I arrived and was asked if I wanted to do my Deep Dive requirement as my first dive (padi)....I been hooked ever since.

Rebel at 110ft off broward county fl

sharon
01-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Welcome to the forum Kevin. Getting hooked wreck diving 20 years ago, that's fabulous. I hope I'm still diving in 20 years.

KevinS
01-16-2009, 09:49 PM
This Dive site is located in the Northwest Side of Curacao Island. This area is home to large numbers of mountainous star coral looking like giant mushrooms. The mushroom shapes occurred because the coral heads have been eroded at their bases making it great places for fish to hide under.
This is a beautiful site to dive and bring your camera; you might also get to play with the dolphin’s!! Next time I go to Curacao I will be spending a lot of time at this dive site.

See my Photo Album titled “Mushroom Forest” for some pictures.

Visit http://www.curacao-travelguide.com/scuba-diving/dive_sites.html for other dive sites on this island.

sharon
01-17-2009, 08:40 AM
When you go back to Curacao dive the East Point too. Ocean Encounters has a weekly trip. Stunning coral formations in pristine condition as it isn't dove often.